Take some time to sit down and think about how you lead your life.
Where do your days go? Do you look at the calendar and realise with shock that half the year is gone already? Do you draw a blank when you think of a particular month?
Have all the months blurred into a mass of routine? Do you end up doing much of the same thing every day; get up, go to work, come home, eat dinner and watch T.V. , then go to bed.
Next day, get up, go to work etc….
Basically what I call a ‘Photocopy Life’!
It is very easy to get into a routine or a rut. We often don’t take the time to think about what we would like to do with our lives or our day for that matter.
Imagine a plane on course for Miami International Airport.
If the plane was to veer off by just one degree, over time that plane will be completely off course for Miami.
The plane will end up somewhere completely different!
We can apply this to our own lives.
By beginning to change just one thing every day, we can change the direction of our lives.
Just 1 degree of change in your day or life can lead to a completely new destination of experience and opportunity.
We can apply this principle to our business, health and fitness or to our relationships.
For example, if you find it hard to start exercising, try changing the activity you do.
We tend to be inspired to begin something if we enjoy it.
Instead of jumping on the treadmill every morning, grab a hat and sun-block and head to the nearest beach or park for a walk or run. If time is of the essence, walk around your neighbourhood with a workout buddy for a change of scenery.
Try fitting in stretches or calve raises while you are watching T.V. If you have several favorite 1-hour series you watch every week, record them and watch them when you can fit in some exercise.
Do two things at once if time is an excuse you use to put off exercise.
It is interesting how many of us can spend 2-3 hours in the evening after work watching TV, or surfing the net, yet think we don’t have time for exercise!
Once a week, try to experience something new. Go to the library and go to a section you’ve never been to before. Try reading up on self-help or motivational books.
Learn a new hobby. Head to your local squash court and try something new.
Each weekend, try to come up with creative ways to add new learnings and adventure into your life.
By making small changes to our lives, we can change the direction our life is taking.
Everything we do in life, including work, fun activities and family can have an impact on our mind and well-being. Make small changes now and increase doing what brings you joy.
You will reap the benefits in terms of the quality of your life, now and in the future.
By being able to devote more time to looking after you, you will be able to give more to others.
Don’t ever feel guilty for taking time out to focus on what is important to you!
Shift 1 degree with:
- Meditate first thing in the morning before you get out of bed. Sit up in bed, with your back straight. Concentrate on your breath for 10- 15 minutes.
- Incorporate exercise into your day. Do calve raises while on the phone. Do stretches while watching T.V or do a full routine while watching your favorite series.
- Listen to self-help or motivational tapes while driving, walking or commuting.
- Sing out loud in the car to relieve stress and get your heart pumping!
- Get into bed early and read inspiring books before going to sleep.
- Have a jar fill of ideas to do every weekend. Take turns with family members to draw out an idea to do.
- Plan your day the night before. Include inspiring activities and time for you and your mental health. Try to incorporate a new activity every day. It could as simple as using candles when eating or eating in silence without the TV on.
Have fun and experiment to see what excited you!